What Are the Best Socks for Sweaty Feet?
Walking around in wet socks all day is a major annoyance, and can even stop you from fully enjoying your day. Hyperhidrosis can cause you to constantly sweat through your socks and into your shoes. Besides being a huge inconvenience, sweaty feet can also lead to a range of medical conditions. These include Athlete’s Foot, which is caused by fungus that grows in moist conditions, and ingrown toenails, which are caused by the weakening of the nail due to moisture.
Physical activity can increase sweat levels, but if you suffer from plantar hyperhidrosis, then your feet are always sweaty, even when you’re not partaking in any physical activity. To combat this problem, many wear moisture-wicking socks that are specially formulated to keep sweat away from the skin to ensure maximum user comfort. Wicking is the action of drawing off liquid by capillary action, which is the ability for a liquid (sweat, in this case) to move through narrow spaces without external forces. This keeps the body feeling dry by pulling sweat away from your skin, and onto the surface of the fabric where it is quickly evaporated.
Many major athletic brands have created their own range of moisture-wicking socks, targeting athletes, hikers, and gym-goers. However, these can be equally useful for those who sweat excessively from their feet. Socks that are labeled “moisture-wicking” are what you want to look for, as opposed to simply moisture-absorbing materials, like cotton. While cotton is ultra-absorbent, if it is used on its own rather than as a part of a blend, once the sweat is absorbed it does not evaporate quickly. This can lead to discomfort and blisters on the skin.
Buying socks can be overwhelming as there are so many different options to choose from. To help you pick the sock that’s right for you, we’ve compiled a list of the best materials to look for when making a purchase. We have also compiled a list of our favorite anti-sweat socks so that you can stay dry and comfortable all day!
Best Sock Materials for Sweaty Feet
- Merino wool's moisture-wicking, heat-regulating, and anti-microbial properties make it the perfect material for socks. It is a great insulator and breathable fabric that can help keep your feet dry. Merino wool shares its properties with regular wool, the only difference being that Merino wool is incredibly soft, unlike regular wool that is a scratchy and irritating material.
- Bamboo shares many qualities with wool — it is a breathable, moisture-wicking (quick-dry), anti-odor, and heat regulating fabric. It is a fiber derived from the bamboo plant, making it a sustainable, eco-friendly, and hypoallergenic option.
Synthetic fabric technology has come a long way in recent years, and due to its hydrophobic (water-repelling) and moisture-wicking properties, many synthetic fibers are ideal for socks as they are generally more durable than natural fibers.
These fabrics include:
Pay particular attention to socks that feature these materials:
- Coolmax: A breathable polyester blend meant to wick moisture away from the body. It is hydrophobic, so it absorbs little fluid and dries relatively quickly.
- Drymax: This fabric is infused with an anti-microbial treatment to keep moisture away from your body and keep you odor-free.
- Olefin: Olefin is a water-repelling synthetic fiber that is commonly used in a blend with absorbent fabrics that work together to wick moisture away from your feet to keep you dry.
- Isolfil: Polypropylene yarn with a low thermal conductivity that protects the body from temperature changes. The moisture-wicking property of Iolfil means that it wicks sweat outside of the sock, preventing you from feeling damp all day.
- Wickspun: An acrylic fiber noted for its moisture-wicking properties.
Here are our Top Choices for Moisture-Wicking socks:
- Darn Tough
- Drymax Sports
- Thirty48 (+ Coolmax)
- Bamboo Sports
- PowerSocks (+ Coolmax)
The right socks can provide all-day comfort but only offer relief for mild cases of sweating. Those seeking long-lasting effects might want to consider a treatment option that directly targets the problem, rather than just alleviating its symptoms. Dermadry’s iontophoresis machine treats mild to severe hyperhidrosis, and its treatments can provide up to 6 weeks of dryness. Make wet feet a thing of the past! Click here to learn how we can help, or take a look at our product range below.