Is Hyperhidrosis Genetic?
Hyperhidrosis is a medical condition characterized by excessive sweating that affects
We have compiled the findings from some key studies dedicated to analyzing the link between genetics and hyperhidrosis and here is what they found:
- A 2010 study determined that 34.1% of patients had a family history of hyperhidrosis.
- A 2009 study titled Analysis of family history of palmoplantar hyperhidrosis in Japan found that 36% of patients had a positive family history of hyperhidrosis.
- A family history of hyperhidrosis was found in 45% of patients in a study conducted by Lima et al. in 2015.
- 50.2% of patients had a family history of hyperhidrosis in a 2009 study conducted by Karimian-Teherani et al.
- 62% of patients reported that they had a family history in a 2003 study titled Primary hyperhidrosis: Evidence for autosomal dominant inheritance.
- A 2002 study titled Palmar hyperhidrosis: evidence of genetic transmission determined that 65% of their patient sample had a positive family history of palmar hyperhidrosis.
This is just one of the potential causes of hyperhidrosis, and the root cause is still obscure, and more research must be conducted. Thankfully, hyperhidrosis is a benign non-life-threatening condition and while it can have a severe impact on an individual’s quality of life, with particularly negative effects on their social and occupational life. Thankfully, effective treatment for the condition exists. So while we may not understand what causes it, at least we can manage its effects!
Palmar, plantar, and axillary hyperhidrosis are the most common forms of the condition. These are otherwise known as excessive sweating of the hands, feet, and underarms. Dermadry has created an all-in-one solution to treat all three problem zones from the comfort of your home. Our device uses iontophoresis technology, which works by directing a mild current through the skin to neutralize the connection between the nerves and sweat glands. Best of all, it is a non-invasive, all-natural, drug-free, and needle-free solution for those who suffer from sweaty hands, feet, and underarms.
Tip: If you suffer from hyperhidrosis yourself, take the opportunity to ask your close ones (parents, siblings, etc.) to see if they also suffer from the condition. Hyperhidrosis is seldom talked about and many feel embarrassed talking about their condition, but spreading awareness is crucial, and the best place to start is by asking those closest to you. It may even help you better understand your condition and create a support system!
Learn more about Dermadry here and shop our product line below