Summer is around the corner, and along with all that fun in the sun, comes a lot of sweat. 💦
While summer can be an exciting time, it can also be a dreaded time of year for those who sweat a lot. Underarm sweat stains and sweaty feet are just some discomforts brought upon by the rising temperature.
To help you feel and look your best this summer, we have created a list of tips that can help you get through those hot and humid summer months. Read all the way through if you want to learn how to treat and prevent excessive sweating!
Tips to Sweat-Proof Your Summer
1. Stay Hydrated
- While it may seem counterproductive to drink more water when your body just won’t stop producing sweat, it’s important to stay well hydrated! Drinking water can help you cool down in hot temperatures and regulate your body’s internal temperature. If you sweat more than average, you may also become dehydrated more quickly, which is why it’s crucial to keep a bottle of water handy at all times, especially on those really hot and humid days. It’s the season to invest in a good quality reusable water bottle!
2. Reduce Your Caffeine Intake
Caffeine stimulates the nervous system, which increases sweating. It can also raise your blood pressure and heart rate, therefore kicking your sweat glands into high gear. Therefore, reducing your caffeine intake (especially hot coffee) can help you stay cool, calm, and sweat-free.
3. Eat the Right Foods
Maintaining a balanced diet can have an overall positive effect on your health, but did you know that it might reduce sweating as well? Eating a diet rich in fiber, magnesium, and B-vitamins can help reduce sweating! Additionally, opting for cool, water-rich snacks such as watermelon or grapes can help you stay fresh all day.
4. Avoid Spicy Foods
Hot and spicy foods are the last thing you want to go near when it’s already hot out. This may be self-explanatory, but capsaicin (what makes peppers spicy) can trigger a sweat response. Hot food can also raise your body temperature, which will make you sweat more to cool down. Definitely not an ideal situation if you’re trying to stay dry!
5. Practice Relaxation Techniques
Stress is one of the main triggers for excess sweat production. Identifying the cause of the stress and treating it, either directly, or by practicing stress-releasing exercises can help you stay calm. Try meditation or other proven relaxation techniques, which can help decrease your stress levels and keep stress sweat at bay. You can even try a natural relaxant like green tea or use essential oils like lavender and chamomile to keep your stress levels down.
6. Use a Portable Fan or Mist
- You may need a useful sidekick to keep you cool on the hottest of summer days. A mini portable fan or a mist bottle (or a 2-in-in combo!) may just do the trick. Spritzing cold water on yourself and letting it evaporate can cool you down. Fans can also do the trick when you’re outdoors and away from air-conditioning.
7. Plan Your Wardrobe Strategically
For all-day comfort (and to hide underarm sweat stains!) plan your wardrobe ahead of time. Wear loose-fitting, thin clothing made of light and natural fibers, such as cotton or silk, to improve air circulation and keep you cool.
8. Wear Moisture-Wicking Apparel
Look for specially formulated moisture-wicking brands, which are designed to wick moisture away from your skin . They keep you dry by pulling sweat away from your skin, and onto the surface of the fabric where it is quickly evaporated. You may even want to consider underarm pads or shields, or sweat-proof undershirts, which can absorb your sweat and prevent them from staining your clothes.
9. Opt For an Antiperspirant
It’s crucial to make the distinction between deodorants and antiperspirants. While deodorants can help control and mask body odor, antiperspirants will actually reduce sweating by temporarily plugging your sweat glands. It’s recommended to use antiperspirant on clean, dry underarms before bed, which allows the product and active ingredient (aluminum) to properly penetrate the skin to prevent sweat the following day. Clinical and prescription strength antiperspirants are recommended for those who suffer from excessive sweating.
10. Treat Excessive Sweating at Home
- If you sweat excessively, then you may have already followed the tips listed above. You may have tried countless deodorants, antiperspirants, and everything under the sun. You may have even considered injections or other invasive treatments. But how well is your antiperspirant holding up on the hottest of summer days? And what happens if you forget to apply it? Are needles a big no-no for you? Maybe it’s time to rethink your strategy and try an alternative treatment option so you can stay worry-free and sweat-free all summer long.
How can I sweat less this summer?
Dermadry is a tap water iontophoresis device that treats excessive sweating of the hands, feet, and underarms. Dermadry’s anti-sweat device combines cutting-edge technology with user-friendliness, so you can achieve results from the comfort of your home. Our technology works by directing a small current through the skin, effectively neutralizing the connection between the nerves and the sweat glands. Our device targets every sweat gland using hyper-localized action to ensure that you stay dry.
Best of all, our device is non-invasive, needle-free, and drug-free, and can provide up to six weeks of dryness. No harsh chemicals that require constant application are needed, which is ideal for those looking for a natural way to stop sweating. Dermadry only takes a couple of minutes to plug in and set up, and only requires you to add some tap water, so you can finally ditch those aluminum-containing antiperspirants.
Who knew that the best way to treat excessive sweating was to add more water!? Well, our co-founder did. After suffering from hyperhidrosis for many years, and constantly being let down by ineffective treatment options, he decided to take matters into his own (sweaty) hands. Years of testing, research, and development have gone into the device that has become the first tap water iontophoresis machine authorized for sale by Health Canada.
Learn more about how Dermadry can help you enjoy your summer by relieving you from the stress associated with excessive sweating and hyperhidrosis. Take a look at our product range below!